1. Your group of four students will be assigned an ecosystem to research and study. Print the fact sheet for your group's ecosystem. Your group will turn in the fact sheet with your diorama.
2. Each member of your group will need to choose one of the following topics to research: food chain, plants, physical features, and climate. Print an Expert Research Page for each topic. Use the links in Step 1 for research.
3. Research your topic independently using the Expert Research Page for your topic.
4. Working with your ecosystem group, create a plan to make a diorama of your ecosystem. Click here to see some diorama examples. Each of you should collect materials to show your research topic in your diorama. Your diorama should include an example of a food chain, plants, physical features, and the climate of the ecosystem. This will require a discussion among the group members to agree on a plan.
5. As a group, find two or three locations in the world where your ecosystem can be found. Use this world map to help you. Record these locations on your group fact sheet. Use this map, save it, and have your teacher print it on the color printer. Turn it in with your diorama. Click here to see maps of continents: North America, South America, Africa, Asia, Europe, Australia, Antarctica
6. Discuss with your group the following question: What could have caused this ecosystem to be destroyed on Earth? Brainstorm a list of possible causes. (Think about what your ecosystem needs to be healthy, and what would happen if that was taken away.)
7. Now publish a book about your ecosystem. Each member of your team should choose a part of the book to complete.